In part two of the Create Your Life, Your Way series we talk about the beliefs driving everything we do and our choice as adults to embrace them with a hug or tell them goodbye. If you haven’t read it yet, go do so now by clicking on this link!
Now it’s time to put the beliefs driving us to the test. In Vishen Lakhiani’s book, ‘The Code of the Extraordinary Mind’ (read it if you haven’t already!) he provides a list of questions to differentiate beliefs that empower your truest self from the ones that are long-held habits that need the boot.
This process can be scary, but trust me, it’s also very liberating. Defining your true beliefs on paper (or electronically) gives clarity to who it is you really are. This helps you become clear and identify the choices and actions you need to lead a life of authenticity and integrity. Below are a few of the questions Lakhiani asks people to consider.
Choose a belief and grab your journal. Remember, write the first thing that comes to mind as you ask each question. Ask yourself,
- Is the belief absolute truth (e.g. fire is hot, water is wet) or relative truth based on opinion that greatly varies among people and culture?
- Does the belief inspire happiness or make you feel restricted? Why?
- Is it a belief you want to pass down to your loved ones? Why?
- What is it YOU truly believe?
Write the first thing that comes to mind. Then take a moment to really think about it. Re-write each belief in a way that feels right to you. Get honest. No judgement.
Phew, it feels good doesn’t? Shedding light on beliefs that hold you back is freeing and makes way for positive beliefs that move you in a positive direction.
Do the Work
Now is the hard part, you have to do the work. Change will not happen unless you make a change.
During the Day
During the next seven days, notice when limiting beliefs show up. They always do, especially when we’re at our weakest. Pause, take a deep breathe, and ask yourself,
- Is this belief absolute truth or relative truth based on opinion?
- Does this belief inspire happiness or make me feel restricted? Why?
- Do I want to pass this belief onto my loved ones? Why?
- What is it that I truly believe?
Use your new belief to help you navigate through old patterns. Again, this process may take two minutes, five minutes, or maybe even ten minutes, but each time it will get easier.
Reflect on your experiences from the day.
- What limiting beliefs showed up during the day? How did you redefine these beliefs for yourself?
- What successes can you celebrate?
- What challenges presented themselves?
- What can you learn from both the successes and challenges?
Celebrate it all. Write it out and reflect to prepare for the next day.
Keep Yourself Accountable
Remember everything happens at KaylaSnellenberger.com. Join us in the comments section of this post and let me know what goals you’ve set for yourself and how you plan to take action. Keep me posted. What’s working well? Where do you find yourself struggling? We are in this together.
Share the Love
If you found this post helpful share it with your friends! Community is everything. We need our tribe to remind us that we’re already enough and far more capable than we sometimes allow ourselves to be. We also at times need a kind reminder to get out of our own way and get right with the truth.
In part four of the Create Your Life, Your Way series, create a clear vision of the life you want and map the steps needed to get you there. Read it now by clicking this link!
Alright girlfriend, you got this! Let’s show ourselves some love and take one step at a time.
Follow along and download the FREE Create Your Life, You Way action guide by subscribing to KaylaSnellenberger.com!